[Paper Description Page: image of rounded scales watermark]

The Watermark Initiative

"Watermarks" Discussion List Archive from Virginia Tech

Re: Watermark Descriptions (IPH 3.1.3-3.1.5)

At 10:29 AM 12/16/97 -0600, WOODWARD David wrote:
>The codes, I agree, are really cumbersome. It is so much easier
>just to look at a bank of images, which is why a graphic index, such as
>that which I included in the back of the Italian watermarks book, works so
>much better that searching a coded data base.

I guess that is a vote against codes in favor of using standardized
descriptive language.

>I think it would be good to
>keep a standard hierarchical order to the images, however, and the IPH
>begins to do that (although it needs a lot more additions).

Does the graphic index in the back of your book include all the cases that
you are aware of that need to be added to the IPH list?

/Bob Allison?

Robert W. Allison
Dept. of Philosophy & Religion and
Chair, Classical & Medieval Studies
Bates College,
Lewiston, Maine, USA 04240

E-MAIL:         rallison@bates.edu
TEL:            (207) 786-6307
FAX:            (207) 786-6123

The Watermark Initiative was created by

Robert W. Allison
Dept. of Philosophy & Religion, Bates College and

James Hart
Information Services, Bates College Lewiston, Maine, 04240