Re-Indexing, Loading, Etc. Questions/Comments
- 099 Evans records are currently in c instead of l. Should they be in
l? What about sound recording call numbers (also in c).
- 505 |t Should this be indexed in the title index? If it is indexed
in t, can it also be in w (keyword)?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:41:29 -0500
Subject: contents notes
Comments: To: firstname.lastname@example.org
When discussing 505 contents notes, please remember that AACR2 defines the
contents note as a descriptive field. There's no correct way to omit
initial articles, or to put author names in an inverted form, so there's
no correct and reliable way to put 505 $t or $r data directly into a
browse index. As was noted before, 7XX fields should be used for that
If MARBI completes its work on defining coding which could set off
non-indexing characters, and the systems and utilities follow suit, then
that might make it possible to code and index 505 $t data correctly; but
at the present, it can't be done without violating the rules of AACR2,
MARC21, or both.
Authority Control Coordinator/Classics Bibliographer
University of Minnesota
- 533 |7 (microform cataloging; 008 for the microfilm since regular 008
is for the original) Index/limit capabilities? Currently (6/2000) only in
.b12887262. (OCLC field 539 is output as 533 |7.)
- 891 (Conser field) Does this load?
- When we re-index, can obsolete indicators be removed (e.g., 740, 710,
1xx second indicators?)