The Mount Athos Greek Manuscripts Catalog:
© Robert W. Allison
Lewiston, Maine, U.S.A.
The Patriarchal Institute for Patristic Studies
This section of the Catalogi Codicum Montis Athonis Project Web server contains materials related to the methods employed in cataloging and in working out the history of a Monastery and its library.
In general, the Catalogs in this series follow the model employed by Herbert Hunger, Katalog der griechischen Handschriften der Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek, Teil. 1, Vienna, 1961 and subsequent volumes and outlined by Linos Politis, Hodegos Katalogon Cheirographon (Genikon Symboulion Bibliothekon tes Hellados 17), Athens, 1961. The Pilot project volume for the series is E. Lamberz and E. K. Litsas, Katalogos Cheirographon Sketes Hagiou Demetriou (Thessaloniki, Patriarchal Institute for Patristic Studies, 1978.
The materials presented in these pages are in preparation for inclusion in the introduction to the Catalog of the Greek Manuscripts of Philotheou Monastery, and are currently employed in that catalog. They include the following:
- Method for Full Description of Akolouthies
- A methodological paper on how to accomplish full description of Byzantine liturgical manuscripts such as Menaia, the Triodion, the Pentecostarion, and other service books of Byzantine Orthodox Christianity.
- Methodology related to the analysis of paper
- Methods developed for this project are identified in the Guide to the Watermark Archive. They include:
- use of contact watermark prints produced on Dylux® proofing paper,
- computer enhancement of scanned watermark prints
- reproduction of pairs of watermarks with corresponding paper description
- significance of profiles of papers in manuscripts in which numerous paper types are found
- analysis of profiles of papers for identification of scribes and centers of book production
Created by Robert W. Allison
Dept. of Philosophy & Religion, and
Program of Classical and Medieval Studies,
Bates College, Lewiston, Maine 04240
Responses may be sent by e-mail to