Leeds Historical Society
     Home   Resource Room Collections   Peace Monument   Programs   Projects   Links   Fundraising   Contact Us

Peace Monument
Leeds has a Civil War peace Monument erected on Monument Hill, the highest point in Leeds, by the Howard brothers, distinguished natives of Leeds; Major General Oliver Otis Howard, Rev. Roland Bailey Howard, and Brigadier General Charles H. Howard, in memory of the 161 soldiers and sailors who served from this town. This is the largest per capita number serving in the war of any town in the State of Maine.

Peace Was Sure Then
is enscribed above the plaques on the monument.

 

Chronology of the Monument
1890 Presentation of a flag by Rev. R.B. Howard and proposal of a flag stand, park and granite obelisk for Civil War soldiers of Leeds. (Weekly Journal of Lewiston, June 19, 1890)
1895 Historical documentation of when and how the monument was erected.
1901Pictured and mentioned in the History of the Town of Leeds by J.C. Stinchfield
1929Repairs to the monument and placement of a surrounding iron fence
1970National Guardsmen improve trail and erect flag pole and add picnic tables in honor of Maine's Sesquicentennial celebration
2001Leeds Bicentennial celebrations

 

Cub Scouts at the monument on Monument Hill. The Monument is reached by a short hike (3/4 miles) up the hill and through the woods.

Though only 100 feet higher in elevation from the trail entrance on North Road, you get a full-circle view of the surrounding area from the top, especially in winter and spring.