Information for JYA/JSA in Japan
Information Session by Bates Japanese Faculty
October 22, 2014
RW 215

1) There is a list of Japan Study Abroad programs attended by Bates students on the Bates Japanese Program website <>. Also, the Off-Campus Study has its sites:
IN JAPAN <> under <>.
2) Students should consult with a member of the JPN langage faculty in planning a JYA or JSA.
3) Students should go to the Dean Sawyer’s office for a study abroad program and for the process of your application.
4) You are usually requested 2 recommendation letters: one from a recent Japanese teacher and the other from anysubject.  Ask your professors at least 2 weeks ahead of the due date or sooner.
5) Home stay situation is strongly recommended for improvement of your language skills and understanding Japanese culture more on the first hands.
6) Most of non-language courses are taught in English in JYA & JSA programs.
7)Students are usually required to take a placement test upon arrival in Japan.

I. For students planning on two-semesters in Japan:
Bates is a member of the Associated Kyoto Program (AKP).  Because of its strengths, we give that program priority in recommending JYA and JSA programs to students, especially those students who are contemplating a major in Japanese, but also for East Asian Studies majors and students completing a Japanese minor.  Applications to the program are done on-line with some components submitted to the Bates Off-Campus Study Office.  Hisaaki Wake, the AKP representative at Bates, and Dean Sawyer, the Bates Off-Campus Study officer, are ready to help you with this process.  Any one who decided to apply to the AKP should tell Hisaaki Wake in the fall semester and register to apply on-line.  Hard copies elements of the application should be submitted to Dean Sawyer’s office (not to the AKP  Representative) by January 10, 2014.

AKP office in the U.S.
Associated Kyoto Program
Bucknell University, 308 Academic West
1 Dent Drive
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Tel: 1-800-940-7070
Fax: (570) 577-2017       

1) The Program Administrator at the Bucknell Office is Ms. Kate Bewley, Bates ’12. 
2) AKP hopes that a student has taken one course related to Japan other than language courses.
3) Information from other students is always helpful.  Jonathan Pelz is studying at AKP this semester.  (If you want to ask Jon about something, please send your question(s) to Ofuji so that she can make a list and send it to Jon.)  Evaluations by past students of the AKP and other programs are available for review in the Off-Campus Study Office in Lane Hall.

II. For students spending one semester in Japan:
While two-semesters in Japan is always a better choice for strengthening language skills and gaining an in-depth understanding of Japanese society and culture, sometimes students can only fit one semester of study in Japan (JSA) into their schedules. In addition to the AKP, the Japanese faculty at Bates recommend in particular the following two programs for those planning to go to Japan in either the fall or the winter semester (these programs also offer two-semester options):

B. Kansai Gaidai University
(near Osaka)
web address:   (Application should submitted through online.)

Center for International Education
16-1 Nakamiyahigashino-cho
Hirakata City
Osaka 573-1001 Japan                      
telephone when calling from US: 011-81-72-805-2831
fax from the US:  011-81-72-805-2830

1) Rolling admissions for the fall semester begins Jan. 10, 2015 for Fall and Aug. 1, for Spring semester.
2) It’s your responsibility to make sure if your professors send his/her recommendation letter to the Dean Sawyer’s office.  The office doesn’t send your file to Kansai Gaidai until they get everything.
4) Seniors Minh-Tam Pham <>, Alexandra Hakusui <>, and Gwyn Browning <> at Kansai Gaidai last year.

C. Nanzan University Center for Japanese Studies
Admissions Officer
Center for Japanese Studies
18 Yamazato-cho, Showa-ku
Nagoya 466-8673 Japan                    
Phone when calling from US: 011-81-52-832-3123
FAX: 011-81-52-832-5490
e-mail  :

Note: Joanna Moody '14 spent a year at Nanzan.  If you know her, contact her.

D. The following are also Bates-approved programs.  You can find out more about them on the web and at the Bates Study Abroad Office
1) The Earlham College program at Waseda University, Tokyo
2) The IES Intensive Language program at Kanda University, Tokyo
3) CIEE At Sophia University, Tokyo
4) BAC Abroad, Sapporo

III. Some sites for SUMMER study in Japan are:
I.C.U. Summer Courses (in Tokyo)
Princeton in Ishikawa (in Kanazawa)
Hokkaido International Foundation (in Hakodate)

IV. Some points to keep in mind as you apply for study in Japan:

  1. All study abroad programs in Japan require a minimum of one year of Japanese study and most prefer two.  The more language study you do at Bates the better off you are in gaining admission to the programs you want to get into and in gaining strong proficiency while in Japan.  Many programs, most notably the AKP, want you to have in addition at least one non-language course about Japanese culture or society before you go
  2. Several programs including Kansai Gaidai and the AKP ask for an overall GPA of 3.0 in applicants.
  3. Applying for study abroad means both applying to one or more programs in Japan AND also applying to Bates for permission for study abroad.  A first step is to visit the Bates Study Abroad Office in RW and ask for a personal interview with either Mr. David Das or Dean Sawyer.  Information about the office and the study abroad process is available at:
  4. While all programs recommended by Bates include an opportunity for homestays, most also include an option for dorm living.  Both the Bates Japanese language faculty and the Office for Office Campus Study with certain specific exceptions endorse only the option with homestay.   A homestay experience is critical to your success in developing proficiency in Japanese language and culture.
  5. Any financial aid you receive from Bates will continue to be available to you if you study JYA or JSA on a pre-approved basis.  In addition, AKP gives grants to all students to help with the cost of cultural activities and incidental expenses.  Kansai Gaidai also offers scholarship rewards for two-semester students depending on your maintaining sufficiently high grades. If you are a financial aid recipient you may also want to apply for a Bridging Scholarship from the Association of Teachers of Japanese (
  6. Bates has in-house grants designed to help students engage in research and activities during and after their study abroad programs.  In this regard check out especially the Barlow Grants <>and the Tanaka Research-Study Grant in Asia ( in the Dean of Faculty webpage.