|We observe a strong interaction between the overlapping atom clouds in a dual- species magneto-optical trapping apparatus. Our experiments utilize diode lasers for both Rb and Cs, creating the traps in a compact octagonal vapor cell. The number of trapped Cs atoms and the Cs trap filltime increase by as much as a factor of three when the Rb trap is turned off. We present the results of experiments, for both rubidium isotopes, that investigate interspecies collisional loss rates at various trap laser detunings.|
1. The Cs trap was spherical, ~0.8mm diameter at half intensity points.
2. The Rb trap was elliptical, ~1.5mm vertically, 2mm horizontally
3. The magnetic field gradient was ~11 Gauss/cm.
4. Integrated trap laser intensities (six directions): 780T ~ 5mW, 850T ~ 3mW.
5. Integrated repump laser intensities (two directions): 780R ~ 2 mW, 850R ~ 1mW.
6. Laser beam diameters at the trap ~15mm