- November 6, 1998
New name for the New Academic Building: Pettingill Hall
By MATTHEW EPSTEIN
The New Academic Building, as it has been called for the past year and a half
on the Bates campus, is no more.|
It is now the Frederick B. and Ursula P. Pettingill Hall.
According to Vicky Devlin, Vice President for Development and Alumni Affairs, Ursula Pettingill donated $5 million to name the hall after her late husband, Frederick B. (Pat) Pettingill, class 0f 1931.
"She had given previously one of the wings of the building. She increased her gift, so that it is $5 million gift now, and that means that we have a donor whose name is going to be on the building."
Continued Devlin: "[Frederick Pettingill] was very very active in the life of the college, in fact, some people refer to him as `Mr. Bates.'"
"[Pettingill Hall] will bring together faculty in the social sciences and related interdisciplinary faculty programs, fostering greater interaction among students and their professors and invigorating the faculty's already lively interdisciplinary scholarship and teaching," reads the college's brochure on the building.
The building will open in 1999.
Back To Index
© 1998 The Bates Student. All Rights Reserved.
Last Modified: 11/08/1998
Questions? Comments? Mail us.