Most of these books can be found in the Bates College Library. There is also a large LGBTQ section on the ground floor, in the H section.
- Coming Out/Support
- Memoirs/Personal Stories
- Issues In Education
- Revolutionary Voices: A Multicultural Queer Youth Anthology edited by Amy Sonnie
> "When I was 16, I was so scared I might be gay, but I didn't know how to tell. So I went to the library and typed in: G-A-Y. I was hoping to find some manual on how to know if you're gay, like a book of symptoms or something. All I found was a scientific study of homosexuality in cows. Which I read. Apparently cows are gay too. But that wasn't comforting at the time." ~Lisa
- Free Your Mind by Ellen Bass and Kate Kaufman
> The book for gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth and their allies.
- Out & About Campus: Personal Accounts by Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender College Students edited by Kim Howard and Annie Stevens
> The editors have collected 28 first-person accounts from lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered students from colleges and universities across the country. A good mix of ethnicity and college settings marks these essays, which are all tied together by the theme of coming out to oneself and to the community.
- Coming Out: A Handbook For Men by by Orland Outland
- Beyond Acceptance by C. Griffin, M. Wirth, A. Wirth
> Parents of lesbians and gays talk about their experiences.
- How I Learned to Snap by Kirk Read
> A southern coming out story.
- She's Not There by Jennifer Finney Boylan
- Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lorde
- GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary edited by Nestle, Wilchins, Howell
- S/He by Minnie Bruce Pratt
- Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out edited by Loraine Hutchins & Lani Kaahumanu
- Black Gay Man by Robert F. Reid-Pharr
> This book "is both a celebration of black gay male identity and a critique of the structures that allow for the production of that identity."
- Queer Jews edited by David Shneer & Caryn Aviv
- Queer in Asian America edited by David L. Eng & Alice Y. Hom
- The Men With the Pink Triangle by Heinz Heger
> The true life-and-death story of homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps.
- Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey by Betty Degeneres
- Going the Other Way by Billy Bean
> An account of what it is like to be gay in professional baseball.
- A Woman Like That edited by Joan Larkin
> Lesbian and bisexual writers tell their coming out stories.
- Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg
- Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
> "What a deliciously brazen stunt Sarah Waters pulls off in this romantic thriller set in Victorian times...[A] first rate pastiche of betrayed maidens and dastardly smiling villians...the erotic charge between Maude and Sue and the psychological games they play make Fingersmith a sophisticated treat." -L.A. Times
- Valencia by Michelle Tea
- The Well of Loneliness by Radcliffe Hall
> Published in 1928, "the book was banned for obscenity because its main character is a lesbian, and it subsequently became a notorious best-seller."
- Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger - "One little thing changes, and suddenly everything is different." High school student Grady deals with life and love as an out trans teenager.
- Queer Theory, Gender Theory by Riki Wlichins
- Female Masculinity by Judith Halberstam
- Transgender Warriors by Leslie Feinberg
- Gender Outlaw by Kate Bornstein
- Making Gay History by Eric Marcus
- Nothing But The Girl; The Blatant Lesbian Image by Susie Bright, Jill Posener
- Body Alchemy by Loren Cameron
- The Drag King Book by Judith "Jack" Halberstam, Del LaGrace Volcano
- Bullets and Butterflies edited by Emanuel Xavier
ISSUES IN EDUCATION
- Getting Ready For Benjamin edited by Rita M. Kissen
Preparing Teachers for Sexual Diversity in the Classroom
- Thinking Queer: Sexuality, Culture, and Education edited by Susan Talburt and Shirley R. Steinberg p
- Troubling Education: Queer Activism and Antioppressive Pedagogy by Kevin Kumashiro
- Toward Acceptance: Sexual Orientation Issues on Campus edited by Vernon A. Wall and Nancy J. Evans
- Understanding Homosexuality, Changing Schools Arthur Lipkin
This book "provides a foundation in gay/lesbian studies and offers models for equality, inclusion, and school reform."
- Is It a Choice? by Eric Marcus
> Answers to 300 of the most frequently asked questions about gay and lesbian people.
- Overcoming Heterosexism and Homophobia: Strategies That Work edited by James Sears & Walter Williams
- home -
ŠOUTfront 2006 | design by jemufo