TRANSFERRING MATERIALS TO THE COLLEGE ARCHIVES
It is imperative that records be transferred to the Archives in a secure and orderly way as outlined by the following guidelines. If you need assistance, please contact Pat Webber.
- Remove records from filing cabinets by series or category. One file drawer generally equals two bankers boxes. You may include more than one category of records per box. Separate different series with a sheet of paper. Please do not separate the categories into their own boxes. We have limited storage space, so each box should be filled.
- Office files should be transferred to the Archives as they have been arranged in use, since their organization reflects the functions and activities of the office that created the records.
- Do not remove records from the folders in which they were placed in your filing cabinet unless you are using hanging files with metal hooks. Replace hanging folders with standard file folders before placing them in the box.
- Remove any duplicate material from the records to be transferred.
- Place the records in cartons that have the following dimensions: W=12" X L=15" X H=10"; standard bankers boxes are the correct size. Boxes must have lids and handles. Do not use other sizes or types of boxes as they may not fit on our shelving and may be too heavy and awkward for staff to lift.Acid-free boxes in the correct size are available from the Archives; please call us or stop by.
- Label the boxes consecutively on the front of the box, and include the total number of boxes transferred in the label (e.g., "Box 1 of 5," etc). Write the name of the transferring office on the box as well. Do not use acronyms. Please write in pencil on the boxes, or, if you prefer, write or type label information on a piece of paper and tape it to the front or lid of each box. In addition, provide a folder list of the items being transferred to the Archives; this will aid in retrieval of folders for future use. You may email a copy of this list to the Archives.
- Complete and submit an online records transmittal form or print out and send a copy of the PDF version of the form to the Archives.
- Contact Pat Webber when the boxes are ready for pick up.
Please note the following:
- Do not send records in envelopes or send one or two random files at a time without first consulting Archives staff. Exceptions to this include publications or material for which the Archives is on a distribution list.
- Send only Bates-produced materials and not magazines, books, newspapers, etc. which were not produced by Bates College, its personnel, or students unless these comprise an integral and necessary part of the collection.
- Do not overstuff boxes or send damaged or lidless boxes to the Archives. Records can be easily lost or destroyed in transit this way.