- Priority 1.
- Achieve the highest levels of rigorous learning
and teaching; put student responsibility more at the center, and encourage
the engagement of teacher and learner.
- Priority 2.
- Support additional connections of research
to teaching, as well as the value of research by faculty members and by
- Priority 3.
- Develop and support linkages among disciplines,
as well as among models of teaching, without devaluing or diminishing the
importance of the disciplines or the contributions of scholarship.
- Priority 4.
- Enhance learning and teaching by extending
the traditional classroom, both on- and off-campus; create greater flexibility
in the calendar, in new venues for learning, and in collaboration among
- Priority 5.
- Identify and recruit a student population
that will have the highest levels of potential for achievement.
- Priority 6.
- Develop and support greater international
educational experiences, on campus and beyond, confirming the connection
of learning and work in a global context.
- Priority 7.
- Develop new structures and alignment of College
resources that allow students more control over their experiences at Bates.
- Priority 8.
- Reinforce the implicit covenants that bind
the community; seek to understand and strengthen connections that honor
civility, service, collegiality, social justice, and community trust.
- Priority 9.
- Confirm diversity as a College priority both
by valuing the increased diversity of our student, faculty, and staff,
as well as through the emphases expressed by the College's programs and
- Priority 10.
- Provide spaces and facilities that strengthen
the connectedness of learning, student and faculty interaction, and reinforce
the culture of equal access and use.
- Priority 11.
- Reinforce a work ethic among College employees
that values flexibility, cooperation, experimentation and positive responsiveness
to change, as well as supports the development of professional advancement.
- Priority 12.
- Envision learning as continuous and cumulative,
connecting experiences at the College with those both before and after
Bates (including pre-college education), employment, graduate education,
and experiences as Bates alumni.
- Priority 13.
- Create adequate resources to accomplish Bates'
excellences; creatively and positively manage finances, resources, facilities
- Priority 14.
- Collaborate with the local community in ways
that both serve the College's mission and recognize the reciprocity with
the external community of both obligations and opportunities.
- Priority 15.
- Identify, express, and strengthen those aspects
of Bates that are exemplary of its leadership and distinctiveness among
the nation's finest colleges.